Chicago Area Golf Courses
- Northbrook Park District's par-3 course offers a great setting to introduce golf to juniors or tune your short game. Anetsberger has a useful practice area with bunkers and an area for wedge shots up to 50 yards.
9 holes - 22 photos
Buffalo Grove, Illinois
- The Arboretum Club is a shot-makers course that puts a premium on accuracy. Intriguing holes with well-defined landing areas implore you to hit good shots. You'll need your entire bag of tricks to score well here.
18 holes - 201 photos
Arlington Heights, Illinois
- Arlington Lakes definitely lives up to its name. What it lacks in length, it more than makes up for with water hazards and tight fairways. This site was actually a military base until the course was built in 1979.
18 holes - 115 photos
- There's truth in advertising at Big Run; this course is long if you want to play it that way. Hilly terrain and two holes at 600+ yards make for an awesome challenge. The clubhouse is dated but you can have a great time here.
18 holes - 36 photos
- For city-dwellers, this fun 9-hole track in Chicago's Edgebrook neighborhood is convenient to play before or after work and has some tricky holes. It's adjacent to the Chicago River, and sometimes gets flooded after heavy rain.
9 holes - 85 photos
- This 9-hole executive length course run by the Bolingbook Park District is only 2,227 yards but provides a challenge with water in play on 7 holes. Boughton is good for a relaxed golf experience.
9 holes - 21 photos
- This short and very unique 18-hole course is deeply woven into the communities of Evanston & Wilmette, where you'll play along the Chicago River and cross numerous city streets while doing so. A relaxed and fun atmosphere awaits; you're likely to see families and pets enjoying the course during your journey.
18 holes - 21 photos
- With a max course rating of 74.2 for men, this club asks tough questions of a golfer, even though water only comes into play on two holes. The clubhouse at Carriage Greens shows its age.
18 holes - 34 photos
Morton Grove, Illinois
- Narrow fairways defend this historic, yet relatively short 18-hole course in Morton Grove. At 5,634 yards, length off the tee is not a requirement, but accuracy is.
18 holes - 124 photos
Lake Forest, Illinois
- Deerpath's been a pillar of Lake Forest for almost a century, but constant renovations and additions since 2015 make the course feel fresh as ever. The property is in great shape, and the massive new 30,000 sq ft putting green called "The Lawn" is a triumph.
18 holes - 116 photos
- This historic club recently celebrated its 100 year anniversary. With tree-lined fairways on practically every hole and more undulating greens than most Chicagoland public courses, Glencoe tests your ability to score.
18 holes - 178 photos
- At only 6,113 yards from the tips, Glenview Park's length won't challenge you as much as the many bunkers and tight fairways will. And rent a Finn Golf Scooter to really have some fun on the course.
18 holes - 182 photos
- The club formerly known as Sportsman's re-opened in 2021 after $12 million in renovations, and golfers are the beneficiary. This beautiful course features thoughtfully designed and challenging holes, along with a great practice facility.
18 holes - 122 photos
Lake Bluff, Illinois
- There is something very satisfying about the straight fairway lines on this well-groomed course, which you can appreciate from the aerial photo. Water rarely comes into play at Lake Bluff, but narrow fairways provide the primary course defense.
18 holes - 36 photos
Des Plaines, Illinois
- This par-3 course offers 18 holes of low stress golf, perfect for kids learning the game or adults wanting to tune up their short game. The longest hole is 115 yards, so leave your woods in the trunk.
18 holes - 131 photos
Oak Brook, Illinois
- Located adjacent to Butler National, Oak Brook GC is is a beautiful golf course with a solid practice facility to match. The double dogleg 16th hole is one of the trickier holes in all of Chicagoland.
18 holes - 33 photos
Homer Glen, Illinois
- Built in 1926 with trees everywhere, Old Oak lives up to its name. This historic course has rolling hills and a fine practice facility with four separate greens. Water is in play on at least 8 holes.
18 holes - 50 photos
- This 9-hole course tucked into Chicago's West Ridge neighborhood doesn't have many amenities, but it's a good value for the price and perfect for beginners learning to play the game.
9 holes - 51 photos
- This Pete Dye gem is a glorious test of golf in Lemont, next to Cog Hill. Now 30 years old in 2022, immaculate greens and fairways traverse the property. Challenges abound, especially the par-3 island green 11th hole.
18 holes - 41 photos
Villa Park, Illinois
- Villa Park's short and fun 9 hole course is great for golf beginners and laid-back players who don't view their game super seriously. The full driving range is a nice touch for a 9 hole course.
9 holes - 27 photos
Highland Park, Illinois
- Extensively renovated in 2018 for $7 million, Sunset Valley is a beautiful course that's exquisitely maintained. The Heathland-style design provides a stern test and has a rich history dating back to 1921.
18 holes - 186 photos
- Sydney R. Marovitz offers Chicagoans a convenient and fun place to play 9 holes by the lake. The course has developed a reputation for slow play, as its popularity has perhaps become its Achilles heel.
9 holes - 77 photos
- Tom Fazio transformed this former naval base into one the premier golf properties in the state. Hilly terrain and complex greens challenge golfers on this impeccably maintained course. The Glen Club hosts a Korn Ferry Tour event and is also the home of the Illinois Golf Hall of Fame.
18 holes - 37 photos
Glen Ellyn, Illinois
- Glen Ellyn's magnificent golf property offers both 18 and 9 hole courses and excellent golf practice facilities. While both tracks are great, the 18 hole course is a real gem and wonderfully maintained. Water's in play on 14 holes and bunkers are abundant.
18 Hole (18 holes - 34 photos)
9 Hole (9 holes - 31 photos)
- A north shore classic originally built in 1922, Wilmette is well-maintained and has a nice practice facility. The layout makes the 6,363 yard track play longer than it is.
18 holes - 132 photos
- The quintessential north shore course, Winnetka offers a fair and challenging course with a robust practice facility.
18 holes - 144 photos